Sunday 25 December 2011

I Can Hear the Bells


‘I heard the bells on Christmas Day, their old familiar carols play:
And wild and deep the words repeat of peace on earth, good will to men.
 
I thought how as this day had come, the belfries of all Christendom
Had rung so long, the unbroken song, of peace on earth, good will to men.
 
And in despair, I bowed my head…’There is no ‘peace on earth’, I said-
For hate is strong, and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men.’
 
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep: God is not dead, nor doth he sleep:
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with peace on earth, good will to men.”


Because today is Christmas Day, I wanted to share something with all of you that has great meaning for me…this very, very old hymn that is written above has, over the passing years, forever brought tears to my eyes and lifted my heart…the author of it, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, wrote about what he knew…the realities of life that are sometimes so very painful, so very difficult to get through, that despair threatens to take us over… his life was hurtful and difficult, yet these are the words that came out of his personal tragedy and hardship…there have been many times I myself wondered how any good could come out of what was happening around me…but like Longfellow, in those times I came to see that, “…God is not dead, nor doth he sleep…” Wrong has failed, right has prevailed, and ‘peace on earth’ comes to my heart again…
and I can hear the bells...



It is my fondest hope that this day finds you celebrating in the way you love best…whether noisy or quiet…alone or with friends and family…and that this Christmas time is the most blest one for all of you…


…and may every one of you hear the bells…

http://youtu.be/AUWD9Rsmfuw

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment